Financial Aid Sources

There are several aid sources available to graduate level students, including grants, scholarships, employment, and loans. Each program has its own eligibility requirements, but each is generally "need based" or "merit based."


(Does not have to be repaid)

Tuition Equalization Grant (T.E.G.): state grant available to eligible, 'bona fide' Texas residents. Non-Texas residents should apply for a grant, if available, in their home state. Need based. Full-time enrollment required.


(Do not have to be repaid)

Scholarships are available from a variety of sources, each with its own requirements and deadlines. Announcements and applications are available in the Office of Institutional Advancement.


(Must be repaid)

  • Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan: interest and repayment deferred during enrollment. Need based. Minimum of half-time enrollment required. Six month grace period after half-time enrollment ceases. Annual and aggregate limits apply.
  • Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan: interest begins accruing during enrollment, can be paid or capitalized until repayment begins. Not need based, total eligibility cannot exceed student's "cost of attendance". Minimum of half-time enrollment required. Annual and aggregate limits apply.
  • Master Promissory Note: All first time borrowers at TCC need to complete one of these. It is a contract between borrower and lender and by signing the MPN you promise to pay the amount borrowed and agree to other important terms of your loan.
  • Grad PLUS: non-need based. Must be credit-worthy. Can Borrow up to the cost of education minus other aid received.
  • Alternative Loans: various sources based on credit worthiness, projected earnings, debt-to-income ratio. Minimum half-time enrollment required for most. Annual limits apply.

Default Rate
Texas Chiropractic College's Federal Stafford loan Cohort Default Rate for 2011 was 6.1%, 2010 is 6.8% and the rate for 2009 was 3.3%.


  • Federal Work Study: students earn a portion of their financial aid award by working on campus. Students are paid for hours worked at the federal/state minimum wage rate. Eligibility is need based. Must be enrolled full time to work.
  • Community Service: Students also earn a portion of their Financial Aid by working off campus through local non-profit, governmental and community based organizations.