You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Exercise and Health Sciences
Qualifying students may apply for the dual Doctor of Chiropractic (DC), Master of Science (MS) degree program at the Texas Chiropractic College (TCC) and University of Houston - Clear Lake (UH – Clear Lake). The DC and MS degrees are conferred by the TCC and UH – Clear Lake, respectively. Entry into the program requires independent university acceptance by the admissions office and acceptance into the Exercise and Health Sciences Program. Completion of the dual-degree program will provide students with an opportunity to earn a clinical doctorate degree while gaining theoretical knowledge and practical field experience in exercise/sports science. Additionally, the dual--degree program will:
• Provide students with advanced knowledge in the physiological and physical mechanisms underlying exercise adaptation.
• Provide students with the knowledge needed to design and implement evidence-based strength and conditioning programs for athletes and clinical populations.
• Provide opportunities for students to engage in clinical research projects using sophisticated methodologies and equipment to describe human performance.
• Create opportunities for internships and practical experiences in applied exercise and sport science training and testing facilities.
• Prepare students for employment in medically-oriented environments that place emphasis on research or the application of exercise science knowledge.
• Provide students with the knowledge and degree necessary to sit for state chiropractic licensing exams.
Students currently enrolled in the TCC-DC program who wish to enroll in the MS in Exercise and Health Sciences program must:
• Complete the UH – Clear Lake application form and pay the appropriate application fee at the TCC registrar’s office. Copies of the student’s official TCC transcripts showing conferred BS degree will be made for the UH – Clear Lake admissions office.
• Earn passing grades in all Tri-1 through Tri-5 courses at TCC.
• Prior to enrollment in the dual-degree program, the student must earn a bachelor’s degree or have earned TCC’s Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Human Biology (at the completion of Tri-5).
• Earn a TCC GPA of 3.000 or higher at the time of application to the program.
• Students who apply to the DC-MS program are required to follow all UH – Clear Lake academic standards and policies in addition to those of TCC.
• Upon acceptance into the program, students must maintain a 3.000 or better GPA at UH – Clear Lake. If cumulative GPA falls below 3.000, students will be placed on academic probation.
Typically, students will complete the MS degree one semester after the DC degree, but accelerated options are available allowing for simultaneous completion.
It is the students’ obligation to schedule their coursework to complete the degree in a timely manner. TCC is not responsible for students failing to complete the coursework necessary to earn the MS degree.
Copies of students’ UH – Clear Lake coursework will be available to TCC to monitor each student’s progression in the MS program. Students must complete the MS degree within five years of starting their first course or they will be automatically dismissed from the dual-degree program and will not receive the MS degree. Students will be eligible to attend graduation at UH – Clear Lake upon successful completion of their 30 hour MS degree. Any unforeseen clarifications of this joint degree program will be handled by the TCC and UH – Clear Lake Provost.
To learn more about becoming a doctor of chiropractic at TCC and the dual-degree program, please contact the Office of Admission at 1-800-468-6839 or 281-998-6007 or via email at email@example.com . For specific information about UH – Clear Lake’s Exercise and Health Sciences Program please contact the director, Dr. William Amonette (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit the university website at www.uhcl.edu.